Tearfund Ireland Upcoming Conference – Beyond Institutional Care: Rethinking How We Care for Vulnerable Children
Tearfund Ireland are excited to be hosting this free half day conference online on Friday the 14th of May.
We are all united in wanting the very best for children, but we can only achieve this by learning from one another, listening to those with lived experience, and working together. See below a taster of some of the topics we will be addressing during the conference.
This conference will take place on Zoom and will be fully accessible, with live captioning and International Sign Language interpretation. It will bring together expert practitioners, care leavers – individuals who have grown up in orphanages in the Global South and are now calling for reform, disability experts and advocacy experts in the Global South.
*Care Reform is the process of transitioning from orphanage/institutional care for children towards family and community-based care.
- Why Children Belong in Families – is institutional care always harmful for children?
- What about working with a faith-based perspective or in the challenging contexts of poverty and humanitarian crisis or when children are living with disabilities?
- Why are young people from the Global south who grew up in orphanages calling for reform?
- Why are there Global Commitments to end Institutionalisation and orphanage care?
- What role can governments play in promoting change?
Start time: 9.30AM GMT +1 / 10.30AM CET