Who are Evangelicals and What is EAI?
By way of introduction and to avoid confusion we wish to clearly define these two categories:
Evangelical Christians are to be found in all streams of orthodox Christianity as well as in independent Evangelical churches. The EAI Basis of Faith seeks to give a description of what Evangelical Christians believe and can be found here. Beyond these basic beliefs the theology of evangelicals will vary.
Evangelical Alliance Ireland (EAI) is a movement of individuals, churches, organisations from within all streams of evangelicalism in Ireland. Built on relationships, it celebrates the diversity among evangelicals. It is governed by a Steering Group and is a limited charitable company.
Since the concept of an evangelical Christian movement was first mooted in 1999, much has happened. Some major items of the last few years have been:
- Much prayer and seeking the leading of God from 1999 through 2004, when leaders sensed the call from God to develop a national movement of evangelicals
- Launched EAI in May 2004, having produced Principles of Cooperation and Statement of Faith
- Membership enlisted
- Many major events organised
- Training and equipping in areas such as media and financial management
- Staff hired and a centre city office rented
- Working Groups currently active in Prayer, Social Justice, Networking, Theology, Media and Research
- A website developed and regular newsletters, e-zines and booklets published
- Research on evangelicals in Ireland carried out and published
- Media opportunities such as radio interviews, TV news items, Late Late Show involvement, news articles and letters in national newspapers on a number of occasions.